Origin of The Formula
The earliest records of this formula can be found in the ancient Chinese medicine book “Medical Formula Collection And its Understanding” from 1578.
History of the Formula
During the Ming Dynasty in China, (500 years ago), Jia Jing became the new Emperor of China. In his twenties he had many wives but was too frail to have children. He was obviously very unhappy as a result. The Emperor was then prescribed a special herbal decoction called “Qi Bao Dan” by a local priest. Soon after starting this treatment the Emperor’s health and energy levels improved dramatically. Emperor Jia made the priest his personal physician and gave him a royal honorary title.
Both he and his grandson used the formula daily for good health. Interestingly they both had the greatest number children and lived longer than any other Emperors in China’s history.
Ming Emperor Jiajing
Therapeutic Action of the Formula
In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), the kidney and liver control the growth and maintenance of hair. The kidney influences the health of the bones and the body’s vital essence. While the liver is responsible for the good condition of the muscles and also stores blood.
Therefore because the hair is nourished by the blood, if the vital essence and blood are weak, thinning of the hair and baldness may result. During youth, the kidney and liver normally operate at their best and people tend to have thick, shinny and strong hair. With very little life stress, people will have healthy hair. However, as people age and become more stressed with life, blood and essence become depleted and liver and kidney function weaken causing hair loss.
The Formula in Australia Today
Today, the formula is used as a herbal treatment for hair thinning and baldness. It is an upgraded and improved version based on the original Chinese formula. The formula is approved by the Australian TGA allowing us to state on our product label – “Used in Traditional Chinese Medicine to promote normal growth and function of hair, assists in the management of baldness, hair loss, hair thinning and to assist hair growth”.
Ingredients of the Formula
• Key Herbal Components: Polygonum multiflorum+ Achyrantheis bidentata Radix+ Angelicas Sinensis Radix+ Cuscuta Chinensis Lam+ Lycium barbarum
• Action: Tonify liver and kidney to nourish hair follicles. It can also darken early grey hair and anti-ageing effect.
• Secondary Components – Poralea Corylitolia and Poria.
• Action: Tonify kidney, supplement essence and strengthen blood.
• Other Components – (Double Supreme Pill consists of Ligustrum and
• eclipta; Chaenomeles Iagenaria Koidz; Salvia Miltorrhiza Bge)
• Action: Balance and facilitate the key ingredients, improve blood circulation of the scalp.
• Assist hair growth
• Management of baldness, hair loss and hair thinning.
• Darkens grey hair
• Strengthens the blood, Liver and Kidney, strengthens bones, promotes digestion and absorption.
• Improves sleep and prolongs longevity. Reduces hair follicle sesnsitivity to DHT.
This formula is useful in addressing the following conditions:
• Hair thinning, baldness and early grey beard
• Aged related condition due to liver and kidney weakness.
• Low libido